How I celebrated America this past weekend

06 Jul

Working retail means you work holidays.  The only time our store is closed is Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Now, working on the holiday can be good.  Since I’m full-time, I get paid for the day whether I work it or not.  If I do work it, I get time and a half.  And let me tell you, I can always use the extra money.  But this year I had the whole three-day weekend off (a rare occurence).

Saturday we went to a local art museum that had recently opened up 100 acres of ground.  Since it was a beautiful day, despite the heat, we walked around the grounds, looking at the different pieces of art set up along the walkways.  There were yellow benches in various places and no two benches were alike.  The first one we saw sloped down like a slide.  Another was a small semi-circle sticking out of the ground.  Yet another was shaped like foothills with valleys and hill crests.

Other pieces of art included an old battleship sitting in the lake, clothes hanging from a clothes line as if it were occupied.  We had to observe it from the shore, but there was a deck with a security post in it.  Peeking through the window of the security post we saw three televisions, two showing a robbery happening on the ship.  The third showed us just outside the door.  Through the glass we could also hear the walkie-talkie as guards worked to stop the robbery taking place.  Our favorite piece of art, though, was the basketball one that showed the path of the ball’s bounce with red and blue pipes.

After the museum and running a few boring errands, we went to Fred’s parents’ house for a cookout.  Being a vegetarian, I always worry about there being food for me at cookouts.  However, Fred’s mother is aware of my dietary needs and, being the kind woman that she is, not only bought Boca burgers for me, but took the time to marinade eggplant and onions for grilling (on a separate grill, nonetheless!).  The food was good and the company pleasant.  Watching the dogs play was a lot of fun as well.

Sunday Fred worked during the day so we didn’t do our Fourth of July celebrating until the end of the day.  We went to the city’s fireworks downtown.  It was beautiful and fascinating.  I always am in awe of fireworks and wonder how they can be made to do certain things, like form a heart.

Monday was another hot day but we spent a good chunk of it outside.  Me, Fred, and his parents (mine live far away or we would have been with them as well) took a small road trip to a state park.  We had a picnic and then hiked along a trail through the woods.  I was so hot and tired by the end that I slept most of the ride back.  I felt I was being rude, but I just couldn’t keep my eyes open!

Overall, it was a fun weekend.  It was relaxing and tiring as well, but well worth it.  Happy Independence Day, America!

Leave a comment

Posted by on July 6, 2010 in About me, Everyday Life


Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: